The CVC offers a variety of events throughout the year which can be found on our calendar below. If you missed an event, many past events are available on-demand on our YouTube channel. Both self-paced and facilitated courses may be found in our course catalog.
NEW FOR SPRING 2022! Join the CVC and the Online Network of Educators (@ONE) for our Equitable Online Teaching workshop series featuring community college faculty from across the state.
- This event has passed.
Introduction to Online Teaching & Learning (21SP-IOTL-3)
May 3, 2021
May 3 – May 30, 2021
Great teaching can happen anywhere, but teaching online requires different skills, strategies, and tools than face-to-face teaching. In this 4-week course, learn how to support the success of diverse students online, foster inclusion through student-centered activities and communications, and be present for your students. We’ll walk you through the pertinent federal, state, and local regulations impacting online teaching and set you on the path to designing equitable online courses.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the unique needs of California community college students and the challenges and opportunities of online courses;
- Identify and discuss federal and state regulations that impact online course policy and practice;
- Identify local support for online teachers and learners;
- Design introductory communications and activities that support diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Develop equitable online course policies written with student-centered language;
- Develop awareness of accessibility basics;
- Prepare personalized messages to support struggling students.
This is an introductory course designed for individuals preparing to teach an asynchronous online course. Though it does not fulfill a requirement for an @ONE certificate, it is a required course for online teaching preparation at many California community colleges. Please check with your local college to find out more.
Duration: 4 weeks
Time Commitment: approximately 10 hours per week, for a total of 40 hours
Prerequisite: Completion of Introduction to Teaching with Canvas or equivalent skills
Level of Difficulty: Beginning
Optional Continuing Education Credit
Participants in this course can seek optional professional development/continuing education credits by dual-enrolling. A separate fee to the university for graduate-level credit will apply. To learn more, visit Course & CEU Information