CVC Exchange: Adult Learners

CVC Exchange: Adult Learners

You were directed here because you accessed the California Virtual Campus (CVC) Exchange Course Finder and indicated that you are currently pursuing a high school diploma and/or a high school equivalency certificate.

Adult Education learners pursuing a high school diploma or a high school equivalency certificate at an Adult Education or California community college non-credit program who want to dual enroll in credit college courses are required to abide by the state of California dual enrollment process for adult learners. Dual enrollment allows eligible adult students the opportunity to complete college classes and earn college credits while pursuing a high school diploma or equivalency. As an adult learner seeking to dual enroll at a California community college, there are specific rules and regulations that govern your ability to take college courses.

adult learners stock image

The CVC Exchange is an innovative tool that allows students to search for online courses offered at 115 California Community Colleges via the Online Course Finder. Students must first search for courses by CSU GE, IGETC, substitute course, or keyword using the Online Course Finder. Search results contain both courses eligible for instant enrollment and those that require a separate application.

Searching for Courses Using the CVC Exchange

CVC's Online Course Finder is a centralized catalog that allows students to search thousands of online courses available throughout the California Community College system. Prospective students have the ability to search for CSU General Education Breadth courses, UC Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) courses, community college substitution courses, or by keyword.

adult learners stock image

Registering for Classes Found in the CVC Exchange

Although the CVC Exchange also provides the technical capability for students to register into courses, this feature is NOT available for current or prospective dual enrollment students (due to the unique policies and procedures surrounding dual enrollment). Dual enrollment students interested in registering for courses identified through the Exchange must follow the following process to ensure compliance with state regulations and to ensure access to all of the benefits associated with dual enrollment (e.g. free tuition and books):

  1. Meet with your adult education program counselor to understand the local rules and regulations and get information about the local community colleges that typically work with your program.
  2. Work with your adult education program counselor to receive information about your dual enrollment options and obtain a recommendation for each college course you plan to take.
  3. Submit a CCCApply application to be admitted to the college of your choice
  4. Since each college may have a different registration process, visit the Adult Education dual enrollment website at your chosen college to learn about registration dates and the steps for actual registration into a particular class section.


Using the CVC Exchange without following the steps above may result in:

  • Paying additional fees
  • Being denied access to classes or dropped from them
  • Taking classes that are not authorized to fulfill your high school graduation requirements

You can find more information about your local community college’s process using the dropdown menu below.

Get Assistance

If you have questions or need
help, visit our Support Center


CVC Logo and home link
Copyright © 2024 California Community College Chancellor's Office, All rights reserved.

Creative Commons License

This work by California Virtual Campus - Online Education Initiative, a project by the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Copyright © 2024 by California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office