The CVC offers a variety of events throughout the year which can be found on our calendar below. If you missed an event, many past events are available on-demand on our YouTube channel. Both self-paced and facilitated courses may be found in our course catalog.
NEW FOR SPRING 2022! Join the CVC and the Online Network of Educators (@ONE) for our Equitable Online Teaching workshop series featuring community college faculty from across the state.
- This event has passed.
Equity & Culturally Responsive Online Teaching (21SP-ECRTL-3)
April 12, 2021
Apr 12 – May 9, 2021
This course will guide you through a critical journey of becoming an equity-minded educator with the goal of cultivating inclusive experiences that empower all students to achieve their full intellectual capacity. As a participant in this course, you will apply principles of Culturally Responsive Teaching and Learning (CRTL) to your online course. In a collaborative peer-to-peer learning environment, you will analyze your core teaching values, interrogate your online teaching practices, and leave the course with an equity-minded syllabus and an action plan to continue to advance equity in your course and institution.
To successfully complete this course, participants will:
- Analyze your assumptions and beliefs about the diverse students served by California community colleges;
- Interrogate the alignment of your teaching values and teaching practices;
- Apply principles of Culturally Responsive Teaching & Learning (CRTL) to your online course;
- Identify and discuss course-level barriers that disproportionately impact minoritized students including unconscious bias, microaggressions, stereotype threat, and privilege and power;
- Create an equity-minded course syllabus leveraging peer feedback that welcomes and supports all students;
- Write an action plan that describes how you will continue to advance your equity-minded online teaching practices.
Duration: 4 weeks
Time Commitment: approximately 10 hours per week, for a total of 40 hours
Level of Difficulty: Intermediate.
Optional Continuing Education Credit
Participants in this course can seek optional professional development/continuing education credits by dual-enrolling in TEC 1841 at Fresno Pacific University. A separate fee to the university for graduate-level credit will apply. To learn more, visit Course & CEU Information