The CVC offers a variety of events throughout the year which can be found on our calendar below. If you missed an event, many past events are available on-demand on our YouTube channel. Both self-paced and facilitated courses may be found in our course catalog.
Additional systemwide technology events are hosted by the California Community College’s Technology Center and may be accessed on their events calendar.
- This event has passed.
Equity & Culturally Responsive Online Teaching (21SP-ECRTL-1)
January 25, 2021
Jan 25 – Feb 21, 2021
This course will guide you through a critical journey of becoming an equity-minded educator with the goal of cultivating inclusive experiences that empower all students to achieve their full intellectual capacity. As a participant in this course, you will apply principles of Culturally Responsive Teaching and Learning (CRTL) to your online course. In a collaborative peer-to-peer learning environment, you will analyze your core teaching values, interrogate your online teaching practices, and leave the course with an equity-minded syllabus and an action plan to continue to advance equity in your course and institution.
To successfully complete this course, participants will:
- Analyze your assumptions and beliefs about the diverse students served by California community colleges;
- Interrogate the alignment of your teaching values and teaching practices;
- Apply principles of Culturally Responsive Teaching & Learning (CRTL) to your online course;
- Identify and discuss course-level barriers that disproportionately impact minoritized students including unconscious bias, microaggressions, stereotype threat, and privilege and power;
- Create an equity-minded course syllabus leveraging peer feedback that welcomes and supports all students;
- Write an action plan that describes how you will continue to advance your equity-minded online teaching practices.
Duration: 4 weeks
Time Commitment: approximately 10 hours per week, for a total of 40 hours
Level of Difficulty: Intermediate.
Optional Continuing Education Credit
Participants in this course can seek optional professional development/continuing education credits by dual-enrolling in TEC 1841 at Fresno Pacific University. A separate fee to the university for graduate-level credit will apply. To learn more, visit Course & CEU Information