The CVC-OEI offers a variety of events throughout the year which can be found on our calendar below. If you missed an event, many past events are available on-demand on our YouTube channel. Both self-paced and facilitated courses may be found in our course catalog.
- This event has passed.
Assessment in Digital Learning (20FA-ADL-4)
Assessment is not just for testing anymore! This course explores the concept of assessment as a design tool that allows you to build a course centered around student learning. In this course, we’ll explore a design process called the assessment loop, looking at the ways clear learning outcomes, thoughtfully designed assessment, and analysis of assessment results can help you engage your students and build a better course. The course covers writing clear unit-level learning goals, aligning assessments to learning goals, developing authentic summative assessments and developing formative assessments that provide rich and meaningful feedback for students. In addition, we’ll explore various assignment options in Canvas, and develop an overarching plan for using assessments in digital learning environments.
To successfully complete this course, participants will:
- Create assessments aligned to the OEI Course Design Rubric
- Develop unit-level learning objectives in student-centered language with demonstrable learning outcomes;
- Design a variety of valid and authentic formative and summative assessments aligned to the course objectives;
- Design student self-assessments;
- Write clear and detailed assessment instructions;
- Create clear descriptive rubrics that support desired outcomes;
- Develop an assessment plan for one unit of your course that supports regular assessment with timely, meaningful feedback.
This course is part of the Online Teaching & Design Certificate, and fulfills Section C: Assessment.
Duration: 4 Weeks
Time Commitment: approximately 10 hours per week, for a total of 40 hours
Level of Difficulty: Intermediate. To get the most from this course, you should have some familiarity with online teaching and with Canvas. For those who have never taught online, it is highly recommended you take Introduction to Course Design and Introduction to Canvas before beginning this course.
Optional Continuing Education Credit
Participants in this course can seek optional professional development/continuing education credits by dual-enrolling. A separate fee to the university for graduate-level credit will apply. To learn more, visit Course & CEU Information